Thursday, October 31, 2013

Transformation to Passage


So, after nearly a year of planning, thinking, worrying and wondering, Jorge and I started to install Passage yesterday.  I love watching things grow, so I decided to take a few photos everyday to see the transformation fron the empty white gallery space to the magical world of our dry landscape.


The project Passage has been, from the moment the ISE accepted the proposal last year, a thrilling, stressful, frightening, frustrating and truly exciting experience.  I can remember many nights laying in bed being overwhelmed by fear and feeling doubtful that I could ever bring this idea to life.


I am happy to say that I stuck with the project and got through all the many financial, practical and emotional obstacles so that I could now be standing in the ISE gallery with Jorge, as my installer programs QLab to play the videos and the sound engineer hangs speakers and mixes the sound with us in LIVE.  It is wonderful to see the images and sounds Jorge and I have been working with for so many years come to life and also to be exploring all of this fantastic technology.

This is a test pattern to help position the videos. It is 
not one of the videos that will be in the show

The process of the installation has been stressful and extremely frustrating at times- especially when the technology doesn't work- which it never does, but it has also been incredibly fulfilling.  As the work starts to slowly come together I feel thrilled and grateful to have this opportunity to show this project in such a public way.  



When I was walking home from the gallery today I thought about how much I am enjoying this moment. This is exactly what I have always wanted-  to be focused on my art, produce projects and be able to share them with people.  Unfortunately though, as much as I want this, it has been very difficult to make it happen a lot of the time, but, at least for now, I can enjoy being consumed with the installation and exhibition of Passage.


No comments:

Post a Comment