Monday, November 4, 2013

Balancing The Rocks

The rocks arrived Saturday.


After days of struggling with technology it was a welcomed relief to deal with something that didn’t need a computer in order to work. 

 


We were quickly able to get the rocks off the truck and down into the gallery where Louie and Jorge poured them onto the floor and started organizing them inside the installation.


 


It was amazing to experience how the rocks changed the space both visually and energetically.



The 3-tons of marble chips brought a sense of calm with them.  The physical act of moving their weight, handling their cool, wet exterior and smelling their rockness brought us back to our bodies and away from the frenetic world of the computer.


Once the rocks were in place Jorge and I sat for a long time looking out of the installation. What had previously been a frantic, stressful environment for the past few days was now a peaceful, soothing oasis where the imagination could flow freely.  Setting up the projectors and dealing with the computer programs brought us up to our heads.  Installing the rocks brought us down to our feet and the ground.


                                                                         photo by Benedetta Valabrega

This is not to say that I personally privilege working with natural objects over working with the technology.  They are both important for me and I need both in order to explore my ideas fully.  I love the videos and sound in the show. It's been thrilling for me to use the computer to make the 4 videos sync and to manipulate their shape and I am also so glad that we were able to use the computer to create a multi-channel sound environment. Equally, I love the rocks and their innate power and independence from technology.  For me, it's a perfect balance.



No comments:

Post a Comment