Sunday, July 21, 2013

The journey begins


My long-term collaborator Jorge and I will have a solo show at the ISE Gallery in lower Manhattan from November 8 – December 31, 2013.  This is our most expansive project to date as well as an extraordinary opportunity and big personal challenge.  At this point, Jorge and I have our concept, have chosen the videos and designed the space, but there are still so many decisions to be made before we are ready for the opening on November 8.  This is a demanding process on many emotional, creative and practical levels and I think this blog will be an interesting space for me to sort out all of these pieces and for you to join me in the creative process.

Ryōan-ji garden, Kyoto 

At the moment, I am working on fundraising for the show through RocketHub, which is a crowdfunding platform.  I never imagined that I would ever try raising money this way, but the project is expensive and it is extremely difficult to get grant money, so I figured I would give it a try. I was very anxious about doing this, so it took ages to shoot and edit the video, write the text and then, most frighteningly, decide what the monetary goal of the project would be. The budget for the installation is close to $11,000, but I didn't think I could ever raise that much money. It’s embarrassing to say, but all I saw was an image of myself sitting alone starring at the computer screen where it said “money raised: $0.00”.  I thought it was going to be a big public humiliation, but I decided to take the risk and do it anyway and set the goal at $3,000 figuring that I could make some anonymous pledges of my own in case things got really desperate. So, I launched the project and the pledges immediately starting coming in and within 2 days Jorge and I raised $3,000.  

Ryōan-ji garden, Kyoto 


This was completely shocking to me and has given me a chance to shift some very old and unhelpful ways I have imagined myself and my relationship to the world. Each time I see a new pledge- no matter how big or small I feel deeply touched.   I feel a form of support, a connection to others as well as a sense of being lifted up by their belief in me and my work. I have always been someone who shied away from money, seeing it as something a bit tainted and negative, but I see now that it can be good thing. There is something very positive in receiving money and in giving money and it is certainly okay to ask! It is an exchange of positive energy and I am thrilled to know that I no longer have to imagine myself sitting alone looking at a big $0.00 sign, but can instead can see myself surrounding by supporters who are cheering me on. 



This makes me think about the installation itself. Essentially Passage is about moving through the stages of life, change, awareness and transformation and that is what I see happening for me during this process.  Once of the main inspirations for the project is a quote by the Buddhist scholar D.T Suzuki and I am going to share it here as I think is beautiful description of this creative process:
“When traveling is made too easy and comfortable, its spiritual meaning is lost. This may be called sentimentalism, but a certain sense of loneliness engendered by traveling leads one to reflect upon the meaning of life, for life is after all a traveling from one unknown to another unknown”. –D.T. Suzuki

So, on that note, I am going to post the link to my RocketHub site and to ask pledge to Passage in any small or big way you can and even if you can.  


No comments:

Post a Comment