Sunday, August 4, 2013

It's all part of the process

I am very happy to report that Jorge and I have raised $4,000 through RocketHub for Passage and we are deeply grateful to each and every person who pledged.  I have learned that fundraising involves a lot of time and effort although over the past week my attention has been drawn more to the project itself and I haven’t put as much effort into the fundraising, but I will make another call for support this week and hopefully raise some more funds.  Please tell your friends and share the site with anyone you think may be interested. http://rkthb.co/25643


video still from Passage

This past week, Jorge and I have started reconfiguring the videos we will be using for Passage and it has been exciting to see the concept and ethereal narrative of the installation emerge in the juxtaposition of these images.  We have also decided to add a fifth video, which is a video we shot of the river in Housatonic, MA where I had a studio in 2010.  Jorge and I have used this video of red water in numerous installations and performances over the past few years. In fact all of the videos that will be in Passage have been used before: the pigeon that Jorge filmed outside his apartment, the windows with blowing curtains and the figure standing in an arch which I shot when I was in Turkey in 2010.  I have a feeling that we won’t use these images again after this show because they have really matured and found their home in Passage. In this sense, Passage feels like the culmination of years of exploration and investigation into the life, spirit and poetry of these images.



video still from Passage

On a seemingly less creative note, we are also dealing with the many practical issues that need to be taken care of for the installation like choosing video projectors, figuring out how to hang the projectors (apparently we can’t drill into the ceiling, which makes it all very complicated), finding a technician to install the technology, deciding on what media players to use and if we want to sync the videos as well as exploring options for transporting the gravel.  It seems a little overwhelming at times and it has made me think a lot about the creative process and how I define this process. 


 “Art is a guarantee of sanity” – Louise Bourgeois


Generally, I think of the creative process as those moments of inspiration and magic when I feel connected to my vision and I am doing something like performing or editing video or drawing.  Those are good times and I tend to think that these are the times when I am really “working” and somehow the other aspects of putting the project together like figuring out how to move 250 bags of gravel, how to hang the projectors or how to pay for the project are just a nuisance.  Well, obviously there is no project without dealing with practical details and it occurred to me this week that I may be better off seeing it all as the creative process rather than just calling the parts I like creative process and the rest an annoying obstacle I wish didn’t exist.  It’s all good and it’s all important and it is all part of the creative process. 


 “Genius (or art in this case) is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration”  -Thomas Edison

No comments:

Post a Comment