Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Juxtapositions and Connections

It was sincerely a pleasure to put together the evening of performances, Not Otherwise Specified on June 21. The evening itself had a palpable feeling of generosity and deep interest in sharing ideas from both the artists and the audience.  This kind of openess is something I don’t often feel in the art world and it is the reason why I decided to put this evening together in the first place.  I was glad to see that this kind of collaborative spirit isn’t as hard to find as I had thought.

 
PRZYLEGANIE, Monika Weiss

 All of the artists who were included in the evening are performers in some capacity although each one of them worked within a different genre of performance.  I didn’t have a particular plan of how they would relate to each other and I just took a chance that they would relate to each other at all. It was interesting to see that even though they were all so different that there was some kind of conceptual thread connecting them.  Here are some short excerpts from each of the performances.

Red Water, Michele Beck & Jorge Calvo

Sugarman Cuts Across the Sky, Zach Fabri

Under, Edith Raw

Knitting... I Need You, Marie-Christine Katz

Currently, I am organizing two more performance evenings and am choosing artists, so please forward to me the names of any artists you would like to recommend. So far, I have an amazing experimental musician from New York and a pair of devastating butoh dancers from Switzerland. I am interested in seeing how all the different languages of performance can juxtapose and relate to each other, so feel free to push the envelope in your recommendations.
Email ideas to me at    speaking@hotmail.com
Facebook    http://www.facebook.com/creativeweegee

No comments:

Post a Comment